Sunday, January 10, 2010

Physical - Phantom Pains

I came home from work on Friday and really felt the need to just sit and meditate after a long work week.  Victor (he's an assistant varsity b-ball coach) was at his game, it was too cold to run and I just needed to have some quiet time.  So I start mentally preparing for my meditation, I make sure I'm in a comfortable position, my hair is out of the way and I take a deep breath and start my meditation.  About 2 minutes into my meditation, of course, there is a stray hair (I always know there's one hair that will know how to stay on my face) that is tickling my neck and I have to refocus and try to forget it's there.  Then one of my dogs comes up to me and since my eyes are closed, I can only imagine that he's sitting there just staring at me and he sneezes on my arm and then curls up and lays down next to my leg.  So I take a deeper breath and try to get back to meditating when suddenly there is a loud noise outside and my eyes fly open and the dogs start to bark....so much for meditating...the moment is over and I just thank God for the little time I was able to put in.  This made me think about our bodies.  They will always cry out for attention.  Whether its a craving we're trying not to give into, or a pain inside that wants to get us depressed, or a little nagging headache that won't let us concentrate and just feel bad for ourselves.  Our bodies are like spoiled children that always want the mind's attention and most of the time we give into ourselves because it's the easier thing to do.  However, sometimes...most of the time, we have to be the "grownups" over our bodies and say, "no, you are not going to eat that snickers today, or no, you are not going to feel scared over that issue again, or get your lazy butt off that couch and go for a run!".  The thing is, though, that we should ALWAYS be kind to ourselves.  We should always listen to our bodies and determine whether the need is really real or is it false.  If what we're feeling, like say a sore knee, we should listen and say "I'll be nice to my body today and not work out", but if we are feeling moody or sad about an issue that is in the past and resolved, we need to tell ourselves, "that's over with, there's nothing to be scared or sad about, the issue is a phantom pain".  Then at this point, start listening to the Lord and see what issue is really there so that we can deal with growing and not wasting time on "spilled milk" that has already been cleaned up.

No comments:

Post a Comment