Sunday, February 21, 2010

Physical - Hi My Name is Lili and I am an...

So this weekend was the first weekend of Lent and we decided to give up alcohol for Lent....aaaauuughhh!!  What the heck were we thinking!!!  I have to blame it all on me because I was the one who first said that I would give it up and then, Victor, being the good husband and Catholic that he is said "sure baby, I'll give it up with you!"  He's such a cool guy...
I have to admit that on Friday I was not even looking forward to the weekend.  I kept thinking, "what the heck are we going to do??"  I know this sounds pretty pathetic, but we really use beer to help us have a good time at dinner, a club or just at home watching Sopranos or Weeds episodes.  We're just social alcoholics that way.  So we went to work out on Friday and then had some fish soup at Ciro's.  So Friday was good.  Then Saturday comes along and I had to go to a women's conference where my boss gave a great speech (you go girl!) and I have to admit that waking up early and not feeling the effects of a late night sure felt good!  We then had a nice pizza lunch at Ardovino's (I was this close to ordering a glass of wine) and then we went to a movie (Werewolf kind of sucked).  Sunday then comes around and I woke up early again and we went to go eat breakfast and then I had to go to work for a quick emergency.  Soooo, did I miss drinking?  Yes I sort of did, but truth be told, I kept thinking that I really want to consecrate myself to God this lenten season and I really think giving up the booze will help me in that quest.  I have other issues that really need my clarity and a better physical fitness level and I think that the Lord has not asked something of me that is not really going to benefit tremendously in the long run.  We tend to use beer as self medication sometimes (ok, maybe most of the time) and it's been a long time since I haven't used it as a numbing agent (the last time I quit was when I was pregnant last May and that felt nice), so it'll be nice to really know that I'm not using a mental or physical crutch to get me through the remnants of my "low periods".  Vic and I watched "The Notebook" together this evening and I really enjoyed the talk we had afterwards.  I told him that I had felt that I'd forgotten who I was when I was going through my darkness and that's a terrible thing for anyone to go through.  I remember the first time I saw that movie and I remember not liking it very much...I was super mad at her for not remembering her husband.  What a dummy I was!!  I've become very empathetic lately and I pray for anyone who has a mental illness of some sort.  I'm just glad that maybe by giving up drinking and being up for a "chick flick", when we otherwise probably wouldn't have watched it since we aren't normally up for stuff like that....that we will grow closer to each other and to God.  It's nice to know we don't need alcohol to loosen us up to have nice, deep conversations like the one we had.  It was a very nice Sunday evening and I'll be perky and rested for Monday.  Bring it on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment